10.23.2014

Spaghetti Squash

God is just so creative.


Squash...




...that shreds into "noodles" very reminiscent of spaghetti.  Who coulda thunk such a thing up?  God, that's who. 



I first became aware of spaghetti squash when Jas and I were a family-of-2, living in Colorado.  




I decided to get crazy and buy one and try it out...see if it really worked like I'd read.




 And it did.  Crazy!




Fast forward, ummm....about 15 years.  It's now been over a year since the 7 of us begun the GAPS protocol...and we have become bosom buddies with spaghetti squash during that time.  It is a yummy and versatile staple in my culinary arsenal...and I'm just sad that it took GAPS to bring it front and center for us.  I usually buy two to four biggish squashes every week at the store.





I had to relearn how to prepare spaghetti squash since it had been forever...but thankfully it is so very easy.


First, I start the oven heating to 400 degrees.

Next, I cut through the squash lengthwise, and lay it cut-side down in a dish (or on a cookie sheet):




Bake it in the oven for between 30 minutes and an hour.  When I get big squash, I cook them closer to an hour.  But sometimes my store will only have smaller squash available, and those only need to cook for about 30 minutes.

Once they're done, take them out of the oven and flip them over in the pan.  Let them cool off before trying to mess with them any further or you will burn the patooky out of your fingers (ask me how I know):





After they've cooled down some, scoop out and discard the seeds, and start "shredding" or raking down the sides of the squash with a fork:


Don't rake across the threads, or you will end up with a mushy mess (again, ask me how I know).



The spaghetti will look like this...




...and this....




Crazy!

And yummy!

Not that it is so yummy right by itself, but as a base for sauces and soups and casseroles...oh, it is so yummy!


We use spaghetti squash in these recipes:

Chicken "Noodle" Soup   (this is hands-down Daniel's favorite supper....every week when I make out our meal plan and I ask the kids what they would like to see that week, he yells "Chicken Noodle Soup!")

Pizza Spaghetti Squash Casserole 

Spaghetti - no link provided here, because I mean just.....you know, regular ole spaghetti.  Ground meat, spaghetti sauce and "noodles".  Yum!


Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?  If so, what are your favorite ways to use it...I would love some new ideas for this great squash!








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...