4.20.2015

Miscellany Monday, April 20, 2015: Escape (!), Quotes, and Good Reading

Saturday night Jas came in the house from evening milking time and barked/yelled, “I need everyone in the backyard right now.  RIGHT NOW!”  In 22 years of knowing Jas, I have never heard him sound like this before.  

Turns out – as we found out quickly after stepping in the backyard – T-Bone had jumped over the pasture fence and was now roaming stampeding around the backyard.  After heading straight toward the white fence/gate that surrounds the pool and sizing it up, determining if he should/could manage to get over it…he instead - PTL - headed into the “Garden Area”  (a .5 acre section that is about 90% surrounded by fencing of differing sorts).  (If he had jumped the pool fence, inertia would have carried him straight into the pool, and I don’t even want to think about all the possible scenarios that could have led to – all of which are bad/sad/expensive.)


At our (loud) request/demand, Elisabeth went inside with the two babies (G's loud/scared crying couldn't have been helping the situation).  It took the other 5 of us about 20 minutes (that felt like an hour) to get T-Bone back through the gate into the pasture. 

If he pulls any shenanigans like that again, he will be headed to the freezer earlier than we originally planned. 


***********************


Noah, Daniel and LK headed to the swing set (20 feet away) and swung a little after the T-Bone adventure was over.  We all had to let our heart rates settle a bit.  

As I walked by the swinging Noah he said, “THAT is why I want to live in the city.”


************************

Another funny Noah-ism, fresh off the presses:

As Gabriel raged (and raged some more) about something this morning, Noah watched with eyes as big as saucers. 

Noah:  “Does he have a disorder?  Like…a mental disorder?” 

Me:  “Ummmm, yes…it’s called ‘Being 3’!”


************************

As much as I adore reading, and read lots of fiction to the children, I have not read much fiction for myself in years.  When I can snatch time to read for myself these days, it is non-fiction.

BUT, I have made an exception…..

When we had supper with the M family a week and a half ago, Cathy had a book tucked on her bookshelf that immediately caught my eye.  The author’s name, BIG on the spine, was “Jan Karon.”  I asked excitedly, hoping against hope, “That’s not another Mitford book...is it?” 

Praise the Lord, yes it is!

Cathy let me borrow it and I’m almost halfway through this 500 page monster, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good.

I found and read all the Mitford books in the early 2,000’s, when we still lived in Colorado.  Fell in love with Father Tim and Cynthia.  And Barnabas.  And Dooley.  And...well, everyone else in Mitford too.  I wanted very much to live in a small town like Mitford.  Cathy and I heartily agreed that now….we do!!!


**************************

And finally...I am super excited about this:  A (free!) 6-week course entitled "A Surrendered Heart: A Wife's Journey to Love the Jesus Way"

This course is from one of my all-time favorite bloggers.  I have been reading Laura's blog (Heavenly Homemakers) for years now.  Her blog is 80% healthy recipes, 20% other stuff...and 100% hilarious.  She seriously cracks. me. up!

All I have to do is show up on her blog RIGHT HERE every Thursday for the next six weeks.

Laura loves Jesus.  And she loves her husband.

And I am excited for this course to start on Thursday!



2 comments:

  1. Hope T-Bone doesn't try that again. Although when we used to have cows, if they found they could do it once, they usually tried again. Some were quite the escape artist.... adventure abounds in the country :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope T-Bone doesn't try that again. Although when we used to have cows, if they found they could do it once, they usually tried again. Some were quite the escape artist.... adventure abounds in the country :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...